A chronic or recurrent inflammatory conditions of the colon and small intestine (Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis).
- Defects in the intestinal barrier
- Impaired immune function
- Genetic predispositions (e.g. NOD2 mutation)
- Environmental factors
- Increased proinflammatory immune response to the commensal intestinal microbial flora.
- Leads to increased permeability of the intestinal epithelial barrier.
- Allows toxins and microbes to reach the underlying tissues.
- Alterations in the mucosal architecture, e.g. transcellular bridge formation in epithelial cells and goblet cell hyperplasia or hypertrophy or both.
Example Study Design